I’m a lover of information and data, so it did not take me long to get convinced to jump on the bandwagon and get myself one of these lifestyle tracking devices. After careful research and reading about experiences with the different companies’ after-sales support, I decided on the Jawbone UP24. Since this is not yet available in the Philippines, I bought my band from the Changi Airport Duty Free Shop last July 5th. I immediately used the band while I was still at the airport as I was excited to track my sleep patterns (and also how many steps I made!).
On the 3rd day (July 7th), I had problems syncing it with the app I downloaded on my phone. I contacted customer care through the app later that evening. I received an email reply on the morning of July 9th, requesting for information and giving me instructions on how to troubleshoot. I tried them and still, I could not get it to work properly. I may have pressed the button too many times that in the end, the band was no longer responding.
From July 9to 10, I was communicating by email with their Customer Care. Responses were prompt and had helpful information each time. On July 11th, they asked for a photo of the receipt and informed me that they will work out a warranty exchange. By the 12th, I received an email from Jawbone updating me that my new band has been shipped using FedEx and I can track it online. Amazing! Only after 4 emails from them and my replacement band was shipped! It was a pain-free experience, thanks to their commitment to customer care.
I received the FedEx shipment a week later, with some delays at the Manila hub as expected. And on July 18th, I received a request from Jawbone to fill-up a Customer Experience Survey, which I happily filled out.
Since I’m a customer service nerd, I want to further analyze what made me very happy with the whole experience, so let me share what we can learn from Jawbone’s Customer Care:
- TWO-CLICK CONVENIENCE: The UP app on my phone is able to send an email to the Jawbone Customer Care with just one click. Then it goes to my mail, where an email is already prepared for me and contains my band’s serial number. All I had to do was click SEND.
- REPLIES FROM A REAL PERSON, NOT A MACHINE: None of the usual auto-replies we’re used to, or computer-generated replies from this company. Real people named Adam and Eric, wrote me back and I felt the sincerity with every word
- SOLUTIONS ARE OFFERED: Adam gave a YouTube link in his first email for a video that shows how to reset the band, as well as the link to update my band’s firmware. He also said that I could call their 1-800 number if I would like a walk-through. His second email to me had more step-by-step instructions which were easy to follow even for a non-techie person like me!
- ASKING THE RIGHT QUESTIONS: Adam asked 6 relevant questions which gave me, the customer, the assurance and impression that they really want to help me solve my problem. And I think many tech-support providers can learn from them. Without mentioning the replacement warranty yet, the fact that they asked for my shipping address is being PROACTIVE on their part, which makes the customer think that shipping a replacement will be an option if the problem does not get solved.
- COMMITMENT TO THE CUSTOMER EXPERIENCE: Eric in his last email to me said all the right words. As a customer, I really felt that they don’t want to let me down and not have the Jawbone UP experience they intended it to be. The passion for their product was felt even if it’s just an email.
If only there are more companies like Jawbone who take after-sales support seriously, then the world will be a happier place with a lot less angry people. In the end, it really is commitment to the brand and what the brand promises to deliver in terms of customer experience that fuels a company’s customer care performance. When it comes to choosing brands, choose those with a good track record for after-sales service, only then will the message become loud and clear that customers deserve more from the service we’re currently getting.